Contribution in Social Welfare activities as President of Mahila Dakshata Samithi
Mahila Dakshata Samithi has 35000 members with more than 175 branches spread all over the Country. The main objective of MDS is to empower Women through education.
- Educational Institutions Dr. Saroj Bajaj strongly believes that women can be empowered only through proper education. She realized that illiteracy is predominantly larger in the lower sections of the society that could not take-up higher education unless free Education and Hostel facilities were provided. With an objective to educate these women, she has established many colleges such as Suman junior college for Girls, Mahila Dakshita Samiti & V.D. Bajaj Degree College for Women and Suman Vocational College for Girls, MDS & Bansilal Malani College of Nursing, located at Chandanagar, Hyderabad, predominantly for poor & less privileged orphan girls coming from rural areas.
These colleges develop, care, nurture and empower the under-privileged women. Education not only made a difference in their lives but also within their families and communities.
Hostel facilities are set up in the same campus where these Colleges are located. The Hostel was inaugurated by former Prime Minister Sri P V Narasimha Rao garu.
In 2001 Suman Junior College was inaugurated by Dr. C. Ranga Rajan, the then Governor of Andhra Pradesh, and former RBI Governor.
Mahila Dakshata Samiti Degree College was set up in the year 2005 with Bachelors in computers and Electronics. This Degree College was inaugurated by Sri. Sushil Kumar Shinde, the then Governor of AP.
A Vocational Nursing College was set up in June 2010. The goal of this college is to teach girls vocational skills so that they can attain financial independence and self-reliance. This College was inaugurated by Sri E S L Narasimhan, the present Governor of Telangana.
Additionally Music, Dance, Yoga and Sports wing were also setup for the overall development of students.
MDS & Bansilal Malani College of Nursing was setup in the year 2016. This College was inaugurated by Sri Pranab Mukharjee, Hon’ble President of India.
- Family Counseling Centers – The objective of Family Counselling Centre is to keep the family united. The differences may crop up between husband and wife, father and son, mother and daughter in law or any two family members. Trained counsellors are deputed to deal with these issues. They patiently hear both sides separately and jointly. After detailed discussions with both the parties, the problem area is identified and appropriate counselling is done. This Centre has been functioning very well and thousands of families have been benefited. Started in 1990 – 25000 + cases have been handled so far.
- Short Stay Home – This ‘Home’ is being run for women who deserve immediate help or assistance due to damaged relationship in the family. Some women are ill treated by their husbands or in laws, some might have been deceived by their so called lovers, some might have lost mental balance due to some calamity in close relations. This sort of women need immediate care and empathy. They are given shelter in the short stay home, their problem is diagnosed, required counselling is done and appropriate training is given to them in the area of interest to them which will enable them to face the difficulties boldly and strategically. Started in 1991 – About 2600+ persons have been rehabilitated.
- Day Care Center for the Aged – Started in 1991 – can accommodate around 60 persons. More then 3000 people have been assisted / helped till date.
- Mobile Medicare Programme – Started in 1991 – 6 to 8 slums are covered per month
- Health check up – Camps and Eye camps are conducted free of cost. This is meant for women and children who can’t afford health care on their own. Health camps are conducted periodically in different disciplines through check ups, vaccinations, advice and medicines. Seminars are conducted in various fields of medicines inviting experts. Blood Donation Camps are organised frequently.
- Help Line – Commenced in 2002 – Toll Free Number of 10922 is available for round the clock service – 4342 beneficiaries were helped
- Pre Marital Counseling Centers – were set up in 2003. It is a presumptive measure of an unforeseen problem. Both the bride and bridegroom along with the other members of families of both the sides are given counselling. The areas where problems arise, how the perception should be changed, attitudes to be developed and steps to be taken for establishing harmonious atmosphere are explained. This sort of counselling has helped many families as per the feedback received. The bride is invited into the family with love and warmth and bride responds with equal respect and reciprocation towards all the family members.
- Swaadhaar Home – Set up in 2005 – About 280 Women were rehabilitated so far.
- Legal Literacy Camps – 171 Camps were conducted so far. When the counselling fails and the woman is in need of legal aid, she is extended help. She is informed about her rights and legal provisions available in her favour. Courage is developed in her through counselling to tackle the situation to her best advantage. Advocates are suggested who are specialist in that area and does the job with care and concern.